Tuesday, May 26, 2009

This Is How We Do It







Montell Jordan anyone? As a family growing up in Vancouver in the 1980s and 1990s and even today (though now I do much of the family special occasion baking!), major holidays and events always culminated in a gorgeous spread of dazzling cakes and fine pastries from Bon Ton. Nothing said special occasion better than a full-on buttercream and rich-pastry-attack Diplomat cake, with beautifully piped bright red buttercream roses atop layers of flaky buttery pastry. Everyone wanted the slice with the rose when we were kids, with a side of cream-filled chocolate eclair or a perfect jam puff! I remember stories my grandma and aunties would tell me of lining up there on Christmas Eve to get log cakes and special holiday cakes for Christmas Day.

I am sad yet happy to see they have updated their website... ! I love random websites that have no design sense, quickly put together by an uncle who read a book on Web Design For Dummies because someone told them they needed to step into the 21st century with a "web presence." But now, their site is really cute, dragging refined Old Lady Bon Ton into the world of modern, stylish, confectionary-crazed urbanites with Bon Ton's classic, ornate, and now ironically, vintage-looking cakes (they've been doing it this way since 1926! Of course they look vintage-- they are!), buttercream filled petit fours and chocolate eclairs.

I love the look of the white cakes with the single bright shiny red maraschino cherry in the center. Looks kind of like these modern retro confections, no? Yes, I love vintage look cakes and treats... but I've also always loved Bon Ton, thanks to family memories... Marzipan scrolls with "Merry Christmas", or "HappyBirthday" piped in chocolate... I snapped the above pics on Christmas Eve dinner 2008. The top two pics are from Flickr.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...